Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday's Symbols

Matthew 4:18-20  "And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, 'Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' And they straightway left their nets, and followed him."

I love these verses for the simple fact that Jesus didn't ask Peter or Andrew to become something they weren't before.  He asked them to become something better. 

The same determination and patience that they needed to be a fisherman will be needed as a disciple of Christ.  The ability to read the tides and skies will be transferred into the ability to understand people.  No longer would they cast their nets and bring death--they will now cast their nets and offer life.

I come from a fishing family and know a little about the life of a fisherman.  I can remember my dad getting up many days before dawn to head down to his boat.  I remember my Poppop spending many hours mending his many nets.  The qualities they had that made them good at fishing also made them great at fishing for men.  God still calls simple folks like you and I.  Will you follow Him?

Here are some really cool fish-y handmade items!  




 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment