Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fireworks or Candles

The fireworks came late this year for the 4th of July celebration.  (So much clean-up from the massive storm the week before!)  But they were as amazing as they always have been...lighting up the sky with spectacular colors and shapes.


And I got to thinking about my teenage daughter, who was standing next to me.  She wants to be remembered, to be "somebody," to be famous.  And I realized that she was talking about being like the fireworks that light up the sky and leave you speechless because of their dazzling display in the night sky. 


I remember wanting to be like fireworks when I was a teenager.  It seemed that the only way to measure the importance of your life was whether you were known by millions of people.


Obviously, I'm not famous.  In fact, I'm pretty much unknown.  I'm a stay-at-home wife and mother.  


But as we stood there watching the fireworks display, God brought to mind the image of a candle.  Simple and small, candles provide light in the darkness.  They are steady and consistent and their light shines for a long time.


And I realized that we each have to decide how our lives will be spent...chasing after a moment of fame that is soon over and will never come again or simply living each day to the fullest.


Maybe this is part of growing up...to realize that each day is a gift and that to be loved by your family is more precious than being recognized around the world. 


I'm a candle and I'm content.

No comments:

Post a Comment