Friday, May 14, 2010

Fab Friday - Pepi Designs

Welcome to another Fab Friday feature!  This week we have an amazing contemporary jewelry designer, Petya from Pepi Designs.  Keep reading to get to know her better!

How did you get started with your craft/art?

I've always been fascinated with jewelry, and especially earrings. The idea of having something one of a kind and being able to envision an idea and make it happen finally inspired me to teach myself how to make it. I started making earrings a few years ago, at first just for myself, and later for family and friends as gifts. The more I made, the more I wanted to make, and the more I wanted to learn about the world of handmade.



What prompted you to set up a home-based business?

All the positive feedback I was getting about my pieces really encouraged me and I thought I could sell them to people who not only don't know me, but they don't even have to live in my city. I loved the idea of being a part of a handmade crafts community, connecting to people from all around the world, and this is when I opened my Etsy store.

What part of your craft is your favorite? (Designing, creating the actual piece, working with custom orders, etc)

I love the creating part when you look at your supplies and suddenly an idea comes to mind, and after working on it for a while you realize that the final product is even better than what you had in mind.



How have you changed since starting your business? How has this impacted your craft?

I'm still learning every day, finding inspiration in different ways - there is always room for improvement and so much to do! I've also become more conscious of my "free" time, part of which is not free anymore.

What is the most challenging aspect of running your business?

The most challenging part is MARKETING. It's a constant process, demanding a lot of time, effort, and sometimes money, and can get frustrating and discouraging at times. Yet, I do enjoy the challenge and I'm constantly learning and looking for unique and interesting ways to market my products.



How did you come up with your shop name?

Pepi is what my family and friends call me - a little nickname from my childhood. I wanted my shop name to have a little piece of me and remind me where I come from.

Where do you see yourself in five years? Where do you see your business?

I see myself having a stable customer base, with my business expanding and able to sustain itself.



How do you keep a balance between home and business responsibilities?

This is challenging! I have a full time job that has a very irregular schedule and gets a bit demanding at times, which makes it even harder to plan things out. However, I do try to make time for what I love. My boyfriend also has his own business projects on the side, so we both spend most of our evenings or weekends working together on our projects, which makes it fun.

If you could give one piece of advice to others who are just getting started with their businesses, what would it be?

Believe in yourself and be patient. Starting a business is never the way you pictured it in your dreams, it takes a lot more time and effort, so keep believing and don't give up.



Can you give us some links to be able to follow you? (Etsy, Artfire, Twitter, Facebook, etc)
http://pepidesigns.etsy.com/
http://twitter.com/pepi_designs
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pepi-Designs/10150123298960641?ref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment